Monday, December 17, 2007

Wake-up call!

I had a wake-up call Sunday night. I arrived home from a wedding party at just before 9pm and fell asleep (no I wasn't intoxicated, I don't drink alcohol). When I woke up at 2am and went to turn off the lights, I couldn't find my brand new Sony digital camera or my wallet. Still a bit sleepy, I searched and searched again. I checked the lock on the front door and then realised...the window was slightly ajar (as it had been forced open) and some opportunist bastard had stuck their hand through the grille and grabbed them off the nearby table. A $250 camera, about $150 in my wallet and some precious memories (which I hadn't downloaded before I fell asleep) from today's trip to Phnom Tamao zoo and the evening's wedding - all lost because of my stupidity (leaving the valuables near a window). I am not surprised by much in Cambodia these days and this should kick-start my mind into realising that not everyone can be included in the list of kind, sweet and gentle people that I've become so used to over the last 13 years. I've been spoilt and I let my guard down - lesson learnt! The only reason by lap-top is still on my desk is because they wouldn't swipe it through the grille. Damn, damn, damn - there were some great photos from an exhausting moto-ride to Phnom Tamao zoo and wildlife rescue center, as well as pictures taken at the wedding party with the well-known Khmer actress Soeu Sotheara, but it's no use crying over spilt milk, I'm $400 down on a few hours ago, and will know better in future! Lying on the floor, presumably knocked off the table by the thief, was the certificate of 'good luck' given to me by the famous monk Som Sim last week. I've been asked a few times by Khmer friends, whether I believed his blessing or not - now they have their answer - an emphatic no!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Update on theft:
Managed to get into see the police chief of Boeung Keng Kang 1 district this afternoon (Tuesday) to report the theft and to get a report of the incident for my own insurance purposes. Accompanied by my landlady and my friend Sophoin who did the translating, it took 1.5 hours as all the paperwork is handwritten but it was done in a pleasant atmosphere and absolutely no suggestion of any money changing hands - which everyone had told me would happen.The chief and his assistant, who copied my own handwritten report into Khmer, were very professional, quizzed my landlady thoroughly about her security measures at her house (which are very good) and offered to come to the house to take photos 'for the file.' All in all, a most agreeable visit to my local police station.