Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ratanakiri recall

Grandmother and grandchildren bemused by the foreigners in their midst
It never fails to deliver at least a smile: "soksabai - saisabok"
If you've been wondering where my Ratanakiri trip report is, I'm still writing it. Yes, I know, I'm a disappointment to my mother too. In the meantime, so you don't suffer any withdrawal side-effects, here's a couple of photos to keep you interested. The top photo is of a grandmother and her charges, taken when our car broke down yet again! I've spent most of my time travelling around Cambodia over the years by moto and one of the few times I splurged on a 4WD, the blasted thing broke down and got stuck. The 2nd photo was taken just outside the village of Kateung, a Kreung ethnic minority village where you can arrange elephant rides to the nearby waterfall of Katieng. These two girls - don't you just love the wellies - were minding their own business when I hopped off the moto and engaged them with my "soksabai-saisabok" refrain. It never fails to work, even in the backwaters of Ratanakiri, and usually elicits the reply, "Oh, you speak Khmer very good" - little do they know!

No comments: