Wednesday, April 11, 2007

And the music lives on...

Music plays a large part in my life, so I will share with you some forthcomings gigs I'll be attending. Tomorrow night (Thursday 12 April) I'll be making my way to Bilston in Wolverhampton to watch Legend at the Robin 2 club (band on stage at 9pm, cost £8.50). They're an eight-piece band of musicians and singers, led by Michael Anton Phillips, whose two hour show covers the very best of Bob Marley’s timeless classics like Is This Love, No Woman No Cry, Waiting in Vain, Exodus, I Shot The Sheriff, Jamming and Could You Be Loved. They also happen to have in their ranks, talented singer Leonie Smith, one of my very favourite female vocalists. You can usually find Leonie taking lead vocals with the band Gabbidon. Read all about Leonie here and find out more about Legend at their website.

Next week will find me winging my way to one of my regular venues, The Drum in Birmingham, on Tuesday 17 April, to watch the film, Who Shot the Sheriff, the story of the Rock Against Racism movement featuring unseen footage of artists of the 70's and the Love Music Hate Racism (LMHR) movement today. Groups like Steel Pulse, Sham 69, The Clash and Ms Dynamite will be featured. The film tracks the rise of racism and the National Front in Britain and how a generation, black and white, fought back. It starts at 7pm (tickets £4), there will be a post screening discussion and songs from Birmingham's very own singer songwriter Yaz Alexander, the Reggae Princess. Yaz is an extremely talented singer and will be back on stage again later that week, on Saturday 21 April, as the main support artist to Lucky Dube at the Aylestone WMC in Leicester (9pm-Late). On Monday 7 May, she will be back at the same venue as support to Beenie Man & Angel (9pm- Late). Read more about Yaz here.

No comments: