Friday, August 04, 2006

Favourite photos...3

These happy, smiling youngsters were part of a large group I met in the grounds of Wat Stung Meanchey, on the outskirts of Phnom Penh in March 1998.
Accompanied by Onphum, my moto-driver, we were returning from a visit to Choeung Ek, when we pulled into the grounds of Wat Stung Meanchey, boasting a large collection of statues, murals and paintings in bright colours. Also in the grounds of the pagoda was a large group of children. Always eager to make a fool of myself, I joined in their game of 'kop sbek cheung', the Khmer name for flip-flop throwing and found my aim left a lot to be desired, much to their delight and amusement. The photo above was taken just as I was leaving, as they sent me on my way with handshakes, waves and smiling faces.

No comments: