Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Salute to Steve Coogan

In my younger days I used to watch live alternative comedy as if my life depended on it. Because I never missed a show at the Cheltenham Town Hall - Pillar Room, I saw the cream of the crop including Frank Skinner, Ben Elton, Lee Evans, Jo Brand, Paul Merton, everyone who was anyone and most of them just before they became the big names they are today. However, one man who could throw his voice and mimic anyone, and who was a superb stand-up comic was the legendary Steve Coogan. Known to most British tv viewers as Alan Partridge, the former radio dj and tv presenter who made us cringe throughout each of his programmes, Coogan's latest tv series, Saxondale, ends tonight. There's lots more to Coogan's armoury including his continuing flirtation with film-stardom and you can read all about it here. In the photo above, taken in 1995, my wife and I caught up with Steve for a chat after he'd just finished a stand-up show at the Town Hall. Great comic, and nice guy to boot.

Tim Clark hosted the first 'Pillar Talk' show way back in January 1990 and over the next decade many of the UK's finest comedians did their turn including another fave of mine, Jeff Green. Read all about Jeff here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U seem interested on Khmer Rouge history...