Thursday, January 03, 2008

Route 3 friends

A couple of weeks ago I went for a Saturday afternoon moto-ride along Route 3 in a westerly direction from Phnom Penh with no agenda, just to stop where the whim took me. The above photo was snapped as I paused to inspect a new canal and irrigation scheme built with funds provided by the Japanese development agency. The gaggle of children at my side thought they would investigate who I was and the eldest two girls asked me what was I doing, where was I from, what was my name and so on. I was impressed by their forwardness and lack of fear, which isn't always the case on my travels into the countryside. In fact, quite the opposite has been the response on many occasions, with small children running away as fast as their little legs will carry them, screaming at my arrival. I can understand that...

2 comments:

Wanna said...

Hi Andy,

Just a little curiosity. I'm wondering what language you speak to the kids.
Well, through your year-long experience in Cambodia, you might be able to speak Khmer. At what level, anyways?

Andy said...

Hi Wanna,
well my Khmer is very limted at the moment, even though I've been to Cambodia many times as a tourist over the last 13 years. Learning the language is something I must do to get closer to the Khmer people and the culture. It will open many doors for me. At the moment, I rely on my translator-cum-motodop to help me out when speaking to people on my trips. My translator is very good. I also speak the children's language of gibberish and pulling faces, anything that will help me connect to the kids.
Cheers, Andy